JOB TITLE: Kitchen Manager/Sous Chef – Tye Creek Lodge (TCL)
DIVISION Food & Beverage
REPORTS TO: Executive Chef
STATUS: Seasonal, Exempt, Benefitted
STAFF SUPERVISED: Up to 30
This staff member is responsible for the daily kitchen operations and financial cost controls for food and labor in the Tye Creek Lodge including commissary operations, banquets, Foggy Goggle and Tye Creek Deli. Responsible for ensuring operations run efficiently and cost effectively while maintaining a high level of customer service. This position upholds teamwork, employee morale, and a positive work environment as a priority while providing support, direction and assistance to all staff members; helping them maintain a “Fast, Friendly, Flexible and Fun” attitude. This position is responsible for maintaining clear and open communication with staff members and all other departments within the resort and the parent company.
• A minimum of two years food and beverage kitchen supervisory experience, in a fast paced, high volume, food and beverage operation, or equivalent education.
• Ability to understand business financial statements, purchasing, and personnel management.
• Prior experience in a leadership position; training, directing, and motivating others.
• Must be able to work as a team member with supervisors and front line employees.
• Employment in this position is subject to a satisfactory background screening.
• Must be comfortable with the changing dynamics of a seasonal business.
Able to be insured to drive company owned vehicles.
• Monitor all operations in the TCL kitchen, and supervise the activities of all staff members.
• Ensure that superior customer service and quality food levels are met.
• Train commissary production lead, as well as oversee training of entire staff.
• Assist in staff recruitment, interviewing and hiring.
• Monitor pars, create prep lists, and order product.
• Conversational Spanish a plus.
• Knowledge of time keeping and inventory control software applications a plus.
• Maintain clean, well-organized, and well-maintained facilities in compliance with Stevens Pass and Washington State mandated standards.
• Responsible for the planning, coordination, and execution of food service for all banquets and events at Stevens Pass.
• Responsible for the planning, coordination, and execution of food service for all commissary services.
• Ensure the production of the best possible product, attractively presented and efficiently served.
• Lead by example, while overseeing implementation of daily operating procedures within Lodge.
• Responsible for all aspects of kitchen production skills at all stations of TCL including portioning, garnishing, storage, and quality control.
• Assist Executive Chef with menu development.
• Track inventory and food waste.
• Order food products for Tye Creek Lodge through the approved vendors.
• Keep accurate records of orders and develop par levels.
• Responsible for all aspects of kitchen operations: ordering, receiving, cleanliness and sanitation of all equipment, floor mats, storage rooms and dish rooms, food and food service quality in the TCL, banquets and commissary food.
• Oversee shift and safety training.
• Communicate any staff policy or shift changes to all staff members and the Tye Creek Lodge Front of House management team.
• Ensure that food service complies at all times with the State liquor laws.
• Responsible for making daily decisions on staff levels.
• Handle customer relations and/or personnel issues that may arise, making consistent decisions to resolve conflict.
• Conduct physical inventories and prepare month end inventory reports.
• Ensure all paperwork is completed in a timely manner, including but not limited to transfers, time edits, month-end inventories, PAFS, performance reviews and disciplinary documentation.
• Participate in weekly management meetings and other company activities.
• Participate in the leadership training programs, incorporating them into daily operating procedures.
• Other duties as required by Stevens Pass management.
HUMAN RESOURCES SUPERVISION:
• Listen with respect to employees to understand their concerns and questions.
• Implement company policies and procedures.
• Apply good judgment in response to employee concerns and personnel issues.
• Represent the views of staff to management.
• Represent the views of management to employees.
• Motivate employees to perform under challenging conditions.
• Maintain high staff morale.
• Hires qualified employees that are motivated to be at Stevens Pass.
• Prepare and participate in constructive employee reviews.
• Record corrective discussions.
• Maintain knowledge of seasonal resort restaurant business performance of the operation.
• Assist the Executive Chef in planning and preparing the operating budgets.
• Implement goals, objectives, and policies for related departments.
• Apply daily and weekly examination of revenue, expense, and labor reports. Frequently review with the staff to stay on target with budget objectives.
• Assess financial performance and adjust operations to meet goals.
• Oversee the implementation of the daily kitchen operating procedures for the TCL, banquets and commissary.
• Effectively work with Building and Grounds and the Receiving supervisor to ensure proper delivery and receipt of all orders.
• Produce inventories, reports and other paperwork, in a timely manner.
• Be knowledgeable about the ski area, all food and beverage services.
• Show up to work on time and in uniform.
• Provide a positive attitude towards the workplace, co-workers and guests.
• Apply daily and weekly examination of revenue, expense, and labor reports. Frequently review with the staff to stay on target with budget objectives
• Communicate with co-workers, supervisors, and managers effectively.
• Maintain ability to work unsupervised in a manner that is professional and consistent with department policies and procedures.
• Maintain a detail oriented focus, ensuring all steps are taken to develop and implement training and development programs.
• Ensure duties/projects/tasks are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
• Possess the ability and apply good judgment when dealing with customer service situations that are not clearly defined by department policy and procedure.
• Maintain knowledge of and act according to the guidelines of the Food and Beverage Manager and Supervisor Behavioral Expectations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Washington state food handlers permit-required, Serv Safe Certified-highly desired
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, outside weather conditions, extreme cold, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but may be loud on occasion. The employee will occasionally walk on slick, wet, snow-covered, or uneven surfaces. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.