Position: Ski and Snowboard School Program Supervisor
Department: Ski and Snowboard School
Status: Seasonal, Hourly, Non Exempt
Reports to: Snowsports School Manager
Our Program Supervisors are responsible for the success of a particular area of the school such as Youth Group Lessons, Teen and Adult Group Lessons, Private Lessons or Multi-week Lessons. Their primary goal is quality guest service, which includes running a dynamic and efficient operation to ensure classes start on time.
They will lead a team of coordinators and instructors to setup teaching and meeting areas, greet and sort guests, manage guest and lesson flow, assign instructors to classes and work with other supervisors to allocate staff resources across the school and rental departments. They will hold instructors and staff accountable to policies and procedures, assist with hiring and training and also teach lessons.
Additionally, the Supervisor will assist the Snowsports School Manager and Training Team in promoting a teaching culture in keeping with the School’s philosophy and in creating a learning environment that is safe, welcoming and inspires fun. They will support employees to deliver a lesson product that meets these standards, as well as promoting a healthy, positive work environment.
SUPERVISED STAFF: Coordinators, Instructors
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Previous leadership experience required
- Minimum PSIA or AASI Level 1 certification highly desired
- Experience instructing children or adults in skiing and/or snowboarding
- Highly organized and have the ability to remain calm and courteous when under pressure
- Strong communication, motivational, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Must demonstrate an ability to follow, train and enforce specific departmental procedures and guidelines
- Must be positive, energetic, and upbeat with the ability to handle a fast paced work environment.
- Contemporary ski or snowboard equipment and clothing a must
- Employment in this position is subject to a satisfactory background screening
- Must be available to work weekends and holidays throughout the winter season, and be comfortable with the changing dynamics of a seasonal business.
Guest Services and Program Execution
- Monitor business levels within the program and communicate scheduling needs in accurate and timely manner
- Provide accurate information to guests about resort operations, products, policies etc. in a courteous and helpful manner
- Handle guest complaints professionally and ensure that timely and appropriate follow-up is done, escalating if necessary
- Ensure staff are kept appropriately informed, communicate important information in a clear and timely manner
- Coordinate lesson assignments efficiently, matching students appropriately with instructors and starting classes on time and ensure coordinators under your supervision are held to the same standard
- Assist other areas of the school and the Rental Department in attaining the goal of maintaining quality guest service.
- Consistently turn in accurate and complete yard sheets for payroll in a timely manner
- Hold yourself and staff accountable to a high standard of personal grooming, professionalism and time management
- Use feedback received from guest surveys and trainer and leadership observations to recognize employees or offer constructive advice and feedback on how to improve performance, including taking disciplinary action when required and escalating concerns in a timely manner
- Be knowledgeable of, promote and demonstrate the philosophies and teaching concepts of the School in your capacity as a trainer/supervisor and role model to others
- Assist with administrative and hiring tasks as required
- Attend and participate in regular meetings of Stevens Pass Ski and Snowboard School leadership team
- Hold yourself, staff and instructors accountable to the instruction responsibilities outlined below
- Keep yourself and your students safe by following and teaching the Responsibility Code
- Create a fun and supportive lesson environment, connecting with your students and providing consistent feedback and positive reinforcement
- Set achievable goals and celebrate successes to build confidence and a sense of accomplishment in the students
- Remain engaged throughout the lesson to ensure your communication and presentation style and the level of challenge matches your students learning styles and ability
- Keep the students moving to allow ample practice time and an opportunity to experience the movements
- Communicate to supervisors or other instructors in a timely manner if you need assistance or have a student that would benefit from being moved into another class
- Be an ambassador for the sport and the resort, and teach all assigned lessons in a manner consistent with the school’s philosophies, methods and values
- Perform all supporting tasks such as boot fitting, guest check-in, greeting, snow removal, conveyor lift operation, teaching area setup and all other labor duties as needed
- Know and follow all policies and procedures as they pertain to teaching and related tasks
- Be a proponent of Stevens Pass vision, mission, values, and service philosophy
- Ensure policies, procedures, and expectations of the department and the company are communicated and enforced. Raise concerns regarding resources, personnel or workload appropriately and in a timely manner
- Be willing and flexible to teach classes in any program
- Show a desire to continue developing through the PSIA/AASI process and stay current on industry trends
- Possess the ability to remain composed and use good judgment when dealing with customer service situations and scenarios that are not clearly defined by department policy and procedure
- Be a good example for the sport and industry by managing personal stress levels, maintaining a positive attitude and communicating enthusiasm for learning and continued professional development through training
- Assume shared responsibility along with employees and management staff to ensure all employee and equipment storage areas are kept clean and tidy and required maintenance or supply/ordering needs are reported in a timely manner
- Gain and maintain a basic understanding of RTP sales procedures
- Work unsupervised in a manner that is professional and consistent with department and company policies and procedures
- Allow employees an appropriate amount of freedom and responsibility in the work place and maintain high staff morale
- Complete the necessary paperwork and other requirements of the position in a timely and accurate manner.
- Perform additional tasks as requested by the Ski and Snowboard School Managers, the General Manager and Senior Management Team.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger/handle or feel, stoop/kneel/crouch or crawl, and reach with hands and arms. Sometimes the employee is required to climb or balance. The employee will need to be able to lift up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 100 pounds with assistance. Assist fallen students in getting up and maintaining balance. Must have good close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Will be required to walk and balance in wet, icy and uneven footing. Ability to perform the duties of this job in all weather conditions.