Position: Ski or Snowboard Instructor Trainer
Department: Ski and Snowboard School and Rentals
Status: Seasonal, Hourly, Non Exempt
Reports to: Ski and Snowboard School Program Supervisors
Instructor Trainers use their knowledge and experience to mentor other instructors and aid in their growth and development to help them create safe and fun experiences for their students. They are integral to the success of the school as a whole and are tasked with leading training clinics, providing constructive feedback and supporting our instructor base as role models both on and off the snow. As a team, Trainers will determine and develop our terrain use, teaching methods and guest flow patterns.
A high level of technical understanding and experience is required and we will look to hire a select number of Trainers with varying areas of expertise. Alongside ability; personality and attitude will be highly considered as Trainers will help shape, support and promote the values and philosophies put forward by the School. We expect that trainers also embody the mindset of being lifelong learners, and seek out opportunities for further growth and development and support the school’s affiliation with PSIA/AASI, to set the example for our instructor staff.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Current PSIA/AASI Level II or higher required or PSIA/AASI Level I with Children’s Specialist (ACE) certification
- Minimum of 3 years teaching snowsports full time or 5 years part time
- Experience leading training clinics highly desired
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- A passion for snowsports instruction and for encouraging growth within others
- Dedicated to being connected to the industry and it’s trends and advances in teaching methods and equipment
- A demonstrated ability and willingness to learn and adapt; to work both independently and as part of a team
- Must own contemporary ski or snowboard equipment and clothing
- Must be available to commit to a submitted schedule including some weekend and holiday shifts and be comfortable with the changing dynamics of a seasonal business.
- Employment in this position is subject to a satisfactory background screening.
- Keep yourself and your students safe by following and teaching the Responsibility Code
- Create a fun and supportive lesson environment by connecting with your students and providing consistent feedback and positive reinforcement
- Coordinate lesson line-ups, the formation of classes and instructor assignments
- Assist in the management of student flow through the teaching areas, moving students between classes and assisting students or members of the general public where appropriate
- Provide feedback to instructors and management on performance, terrain and training needs
- Work as a team to devise action plans for instructor development and operational improvements
- Be knowledgeable of and promote products as appropriate and provide accurate information to guests in a courteous and helpful manner
- Be an ambassador for the sport and the resort, and teach all assigned lessons in a manner consistent with the school’s philosophies and values
- Know and follow all policies and procedures as they pertain to teaching and related tasks
- Use proper lifting techniques when assisting students.
- Complete the necessary paperwork and other requirements of the job in a timely and accurate manner.
- Attend and contribute to scheduled meetings of the Ski and Snowboard School Training Team
- Perform all tasks assigned as part of non-teach time, such as, general cleaning, crowd control, assistance in the rental center, teaching areas, greeting guests, projects, being assigned to assist another department, etc.
- Be aware and keep up to date on the latest industry trends
- Be a proponent of Stevens Pass vision, mission, values, and service philosophy
- Conduct yourself in a manner befitting a trainer and a role model at all times, leading by example with a high personal standard of punctuality, professionalism, work quality and appearance
- Be willing and flexible to teach in any program, to all ages and at any ability level as assigned
- Demonstrate exemplary group management skills and the ability to engage, motivate and challenge groups of employees; Lead model clinics that invoke a passion for continued information sharing and attendance.
- Gain intimate knowledge of the department’s programs, lessons and promotions, to be able to help connect guests to the right product
- Communicate concerns, scheduling conflicts, availability changes or questions to supervisory or management staff in a timely manner
- Understand and follow the company and department policies and procedures to a level of proficiency that means you can train others on the appropriate responses to situations
- Possess the ability to remain composed and use good judgment when dealing with customer service situations and scenarios that are not clearly defined by department policy and procedure.
- Be a good example for the sport and industry by managing personal stress levels, maintaining a positive attitude and communicating enthusiasm for learning and continued professional development
- Assume shared responsibility along with employees and management staff to ensure all employee areas are kept clean and tidy and required maintenance or supply/ordering needs are reported in a timely manner
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, ski and/or snowboard; use hands to finger/handle or feel, stoop/kneel/crouch or crawl, and reach with hands and arms. Sometimes the employee is required to climb or balance. The employee will need to be able to lift up to 40 pounds and occasionally up to 100 pounds with assistance. Assist fallen students in getting up and maintaining balance utilizing proper lifting techniques when assisting students. Must have good close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Will be required to walk and balance in wet, icy and uneven footing. Ability to perform the duties of this job in all weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but may be loud on occasion.