JOB TITLE: Kitchen Manager/Granite Peaks Lodge
DIVISION Food & Beverage
REPORTS TO: Executive Chef
STATUS: Seasonal, Salary, Benefits
STAFF SUPERVISED: Up to 25
This staff member is responsible for the daily kitchen operations and financial cost controls for food and labor in the Granite Peaks Lodge. Responsible for ensuring operations run efficiently and cost effectively while maintaining a high level of customer service. This position upholds teamwork, employee morale, and a positive work environment as a priority while providing support, direction and assistance to all staff members; helping them maintain a “Fast, Friendly, Flexible and Fun” attitude. This position is responsible for maintaining clear and open communication with staff members and all other departments within the resort and the parent company.
• A minimum of two years food and beverage kitchen supervisory experience, in a fast paced, high volume, food and beverage operation, or equivalent education.
• Ability to understand business financial statements, purchasing, and personnel management.
• Prior experience in a leadership position; training, directing, and motivating others.
• Must be able to work as a team member with front line employees.
• Must be comfortable with the changing dynamics of a seasonal business.
• Monitor all operations in the Cascadian Kitchen, and supervise the activities of all staff members.
• Ensure that superior customer service and quality food levels are met.
• Assist in staff recruitment, interviewing and hiring.
• Monitor pars, create prep lists, and order product.
• Maintain clean, well-organized, and well-maintained facilities in compliance with Stevens Pass and Washington State mandated standards.
• Ensure the production of the best possible product, attractively presented and efficiently served.
• Lead by example, while overseeing implementation of daily operating procedures within Lodge.
• Responsible for all aspects of kitchen production skills at all stations of GPL including portioning, garnishing, storage, and quality control.
• Assist Executive Chef with menu development.
• Track inventory and food waste.
• Order food products for Granite Peaks Lodge through the approved vendors.
• Keep accurate records of orders and develop par levels.
• Responsible for all aspects of kitchen operations: ordering, receiving, cleanliness and sanitation of all equipment, floor mats, storage rooms and dish rooms, food and food service quality in the TCL, banquets and commissary food.
• Oversee shift and safety training.
• Communicate any staff policy or shift changes to all staff members.
• Ensure that food service complies at all times with the State liquor laws.
• Responsible for making daily decisions on staff levels.
• Handle customer relations and/or personnel issues that may arise, making consistent decisions to resolve conflict.
• Conduct physical inventories and prepare month end inventory reports.
• Ensure all paperwork is completed in a timely manner, including but not limited to transfers, time edits, month-end inventories, PAFS, performance reviews and disciplinary documentation.
• Participate in weekly management meetings and other company activities.
• Participate in the leadership training programs, incorporating them into daily operating procedures.
• Other duties as required by Stevens Pass management.
HUMAN RESOURCES SUPERVISION:
• Listen with respect to employees to understand their concerns and questions.
• Implement company policies and procedures.
• Apply good judgment in response to employee concerns and personnel issues.
• Represent the views of staff to management.
• Represent the views of management to employees.
• Motivate employees to perform under challenging conditions.
• Maintain high staff morale.
• Hire qualified employees that are motivated to be at Stevens Pass.
• Record corrective discussions.
• Maintain knowledge of seasonal resort restaurant business performance of the operation.
• Assist the Executive Chef in planning and preparing the operating budgets.
• Implement goals, objectives, and policies for related departments.
• Assess financial performance and adjust operations to meet goals.
• Produce inventories, reports and other paperwork, in a timely manner.
• Be knowledgeable of food and beverage services.
• Show up to work on time and in uniform.
• Provide a positive attitude towards the workplace, co-workers and guests.
• Communicate with co-workers, supervisors, and managers effectively.
• Maintain ability to work unsupervised in a manner that is professional and consistent with department policies and procedures.
• Maintain a detail oriented focus, ensuring all steps are taken to develop and implement training and development programs.
• Ensure duties/projects/tasks are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
• Possess the ability and apply good judgment when dealing with customer service situations that are not clearly defined by department policy and procedure.
• Maintain knowledge of and act according to the guidelines of the Food and Beverage Manager and Supervisor Behavioral Expectations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Washington state food handlers permit-required, Serv Safe Certified-highly desired
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but may be loud on occasion. The employee will occasionally walk on slick, wet, or uneven surfaces.