Position: Bike Park Instructor
Department: Summer Operations
Status: Seasonal, Hourly
Reports to: Summer Programs Manager
The Bike Park Instructor is responsible for giving instruction to guests in lessons or programming while being a positive ambassador of the resort. Their focus is mainly on making the on-mountain guest experience as enjoyable and memorable as possible, by providing outstanding customer service for our guests while embracing the fun of summer. Tasks include training to teach within our designated guidelines/progressions, teaching lessons as assigned by manager or supervisor, and in other areas as needed. Instructors will also be responsible for daily set-up of lodge services including tidying the retail area, remerchandising/restocking retail and rentals, assisting rental techs to set-up and tear-down rental area, and assisting PCT hikers with packages in Guest Relations. Instructors may also be asked to assist with trail maintenance, event help, fitting/organizing/cleaning rental equipment or processing guest paperwork.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Must be at least 18 years of age or at least 16 years of age and hold a qualifying certification from TerraMethod, IMBA, PMBI, or similar.
- Experience riding mountain bikes at an intermediate level required, some downhill experience preferred.
- Basic bike mechanics knowledge required
- Possession of a working, contemporary downhill bike is preferred. Please refer to the Bike School Employee Resource Guide for specifications.
- Must demonstrate an ability to follow specific departmental procedures and guidelines
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the demeanor to serve as a positive representative of the Stevens Pass family
- Must be positive, energetic, and upbeat with the ability to handle a fast-paced, multi-task environment with the ability to self-start projects in down time.
- Must be available to work weekends and holidays throughout the summer season, and be comfortable with the changing dynamics of a seasonal business.
- Employment in this position is subject to a satisfactory background screening
- Greet guests as they enter the cashiering area, ensuring a warm welcome and understanding of the liability/rental process, if necessary
- Connect with the guest in the lesson meeting area to determine ability level, goals, and motivations.
- Teach lessons within the designated terrain as deemed appropriate by manager or supervisor, within the allotted amount of time.
- Ensure all appropriate paperwork is completed.
- Ensure policies and procedures of the department are being followed and understood, raising concerns to supervisor or manager as needed.
- Perform opening and closing duties within the lodge as assigned.
- Maintain the organization and cleanliness of all guest facing areas and back of house locations.
- Sell, Organize, and inventory retail items. Sell to guests offering recommendations and information as trained by supervisor or manager, including retail managers.
- Cross-train into other areas to broaden job knowledge and experience when appropriate.
- Perform additional tasks as requested by Managers and Supervisors, the General Manager, and Senior Management Team.
- Be knowledgeable about the resort area, rental shop, products and services, and food offerings available, and the equipment you are providing for the guest.
- Show up to work on time and in uniform, remain at assigned station or area, unless otherwise directed.
- Provide a positive attitude towards the workplace, co-workers, and guests.
- Communicate with co-workers, supervisors, and managers effectively regarding personal/work issues.
- Able to work unsupervised in a manner that is professional and consistent with department policy and procedure.
- Detail oriented, ensuring that all steps are taken to ensure the safety of the guest by properly completing and handling paperwork and equipment.
- Ensure that duties/projects/tasks are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Possess the ability to use good judgment when dealing with customer service situations and scenarios that are not clearly defined by shop policy and procedure.
- Respond enthusiastically when asked to help out in other areas.
- Must be comfortable with the changing dynamics of a seasonal business.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger/handle or feel, stoop/kneel/crouch or crawl, and reach with hands and arms. Sometimes the employee is required to climb or balance. The employee will need to be able to lift up to 50 pounds and occasionally up to 100 pounds with assistance. Assist fallen students in getting up and maintaining balance. Must have good close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Will be required to walk and balance in wet, icy and uneven footing including loose dirt, rocks, and dust. Ability to perform the duties of this job in all weather conditions.